In order to maintain a healthy digestive system we need yogurt. Natural Yogurt sometimes can be bland if eaten on its own. For my bhangan raitha or aubergine raitha you can use just plain natural yogurt or if you like the rich thick creamy taste than use Greek yogurt.
If your yogurt is sour you can add milk (cows, goat, almond) to take the sourness away. Don’t add too much just about a tablespoon at a time as you don’t want to make it too runny. Make the yogurt to a thick consistency.
We can then add a few ingredients to the yogurt. This then can become a meal or part of a meal. It can be eaten with pilau rice or with chapatti/roti. Also you can have it as a side dish.
Personally when I make this I eat it by the spoonful. You can cut back on the spices or salt according to your taste. Also be careful as for garnish I have added green chilli. You can leave this out but I find the chilli aroma adds to the taste. Please try this dish and enjoy.
Suitable for: Gluten free, Substitute for Dairy free yogurt, Substitute for SCD Yogurt (colitis), Vegetarian
Prep Time : 15 min
Serves : 2-4 people
1 large aubergine (peeled and chopped in dices)
¼ teaspoon whole cumin
¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon oil (I use sunflower)
Red onion (half chopped)
¼ teaspoon salt (for taste)
¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
¼ teaspoon cumin powder
¼ teaspoon coriander powder
Natural yogurt medium size pot (500g)
Chopped ½ Green chilly for garnish (Strength varies please be cautious)
Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- Peel the aubergine and chop into cube sized pieces
- Put the chopped aubergine into a pan of boiling water and bring to the boil for a few minutes, until soft
- Once soft remove from heat and drain
- Then mash the boiled aubergine into a pulp with fork
- In another saucepan heat the oil, add the whole cumin and mustard seeds which should pop and sizzle
- Next, add the mashed aubergine, salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for one minute
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Pour the yogurt into a bowl and add the chopped red onion. Add the aubergine mixture and mix well
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chopped green chillies and serve