A delicious dhal which is so easy to make. I have cooked this dhal by only using basic ingredients which are in our cupboards. However, if you wish you can add other ingredients like ginger or garlic paste to add more flavour. Try it the simple way first then explore.
These pulses are either brown or green in colour and the good thing about them is that they keep their shape throughout the cooking process. Lentils are full of protein and fat free so a must in your diet if you are watching those calories. One more thing to save on time investing in a pressure cooker is a must especially when you decide you like lentils and you want to cook these on a regular basis. Before I had the pressure cooker I used to cook dhal in a saucepan which works just as well but takes a little longer and the taste is just as good. As always remember longer soaking time for lentils reduces the cooking time.
This dhal can be served as soup or as curry with rice, roti or naan.
Suitable for: Gluten free, Substitute for Dairy free & for SCD milk (colitis), Vegetarian
Prep Time : 40-50 mins
Serves : 4-6 people
330g brown dhal
1.4 ltr water
¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
¾ teaspoon coriander powder
¾ teaspoon cumin powder
¾ teaspoon red chilli
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon oil or ghee
1 garlic clove sliced
2 tablespoon milk or cream (optional)
fresh coriander for garnish (optional)
- Soak the dhal for 15 to 20 minutes, wash and drain
- Add all the ingredients except for milk, garlic, oil and coriander in the pressure cooker, then cover and wait for pressure whistle and cook for 20 mins on medium heat
- Once cooked check the consistency. If it is too thick add some water and simmer or if too runny simply simmer until you get the right consistency
- Add milk or cream if desired this is optional but will add to the flavour
- Finally heat the oil or ghee in a separate small saucepan with sliced garlic.
- Cook the garlic until golden brown once this is done remove the garlic from the oil or ghee
- Add the heated oil or ghee to the dal and mix all the ingredients
- The dhal can now be garnished with coriander and served