Another great simple recipe for party food or to have as a meal in itself. Consisting of lamb made into little balls and covered in mash potato. You can change the lamb mince to any sort of mince of your preference. Depending on how much potato you use to coat the mince you may find some of this mixture is left over. Make the left over potato mixture into a burger.
Suitable for: Gluten free, Dairy free
Prep Time : 50-60 mins
Serves : 8-10 people
500g mince lamb
1 small onion peeled/chopped
3 garlic cloves peeled
2 inch sliced ginger
3 small green chillies (Strength varies please be cautious)
1 level teaspoon salt or to taste
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
2.5kg bag of potatoes boiled & mashed
2 level teaspoon salt or to taste
1 level teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
juice of 1 ½ lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
Plain flour for coating
Oil for frying
- To cook the lamb place all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium heat until the water is dry
- Whilst the mince is cooking keep stirring to avoid any lumps.
- Once cooked leave on one side to cool
- Add the mixture into a food processor and blend together until fine or looks smooth
- Take mixture out and make into 12 to 14 small balls
- To make the potato element add the mashed potato in a large bowl with all its ingredients and mix well
- Take some potato and flatten this on the palm of your hand, take one of the mince balls and place this in the middle and slowly cover the whole of the mince with potato.
- Smooth into a ball shape gently and place on one side, repeat this action until you have used all the mince balls
- To fry whisk the eggs, salt and red chilli well in a bowl
- Add some flour on a small plate
- Heat the oil in the frying pan ensuring that it is hot enough so that when a drop of egg mixture is added it bubbles up straight away
- Take the cutlet ball, coat in flour then dip in egg and place in heated frying pan.
- Turn when the egg has sealed on one side within 5 seconds. Continue to turn until evenly golden all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen towel to drain
- Serve with mint and coriander chutney, any preferred sauces and salad